Southeast Community Tree Lighting at the Vibe Studio
kaleidoscope // celebrating community where art, music, and culture intersect
Join us this holiday season as we kick off with an inclusive holiday event at the Vibe Studio on November 30th from 5 – 9 p.m.
Vibe is building community and connection through special events at the studio from Thanksgiving through the New Year. There will be a community tree lighting, artisan fair night market, food cart, & collaborative community art project.
Kaleidoscope will be the first in a series of quarterly events where our community will come together for common humanity through art, music in a safe space to learn and grow together.
Wow! What an incredible summer at Vibe of Portland. Even though school was out there was no shortage of learning, growing, creativity, music making and friendship building.
Here are some of the highlights from summer:
- East Winds Band Camp was our biggest and best one yet! Thanks to our friends at Mt Hood Community College and the amazing public school band directors, private lesson teaching artists, musicians and Chamber Music NW for making this camp an annual week of awesome! Save the date for East Winds Band Camp 2019 : July 29-Aug. 2nd
- 3 sold out Pint Size Picasso camps – our littlest artists explored the rainforest, created unique mythical creatures and battled robots!
- Photography camp had a photoshoot at the Tillikum bridge, created camera obscuras, learned about lighting, focus and how to take an awesome picture! Thank you Posy for another great year of photo camp!
- Nature camp where kids went on nature art treasure hunts, did garden still life in our studio garden, and had an awesome interactive presentation from Portland Insectarium.
- POP! Art camp exploring 2D and 3D pop art icons like Warhol, Lichtenstein and Theibaud. Giant sculptures of highlighters and toothpaste and coffee cups – Warhol inspired self portrait print making and so many awesome projects.
- African Rhythms art & music camp. We had an amazing week combining Ghanaian drumming and culture with a variety of African inspired art projects. The week ended in a final concert of drumming, artists wearing traditional Ghanaian dress and showcasing their artwork. A special thanks to Alex Addy for bringing so much to this camp!
- World Folk Art – a great camp to follow African Rhythms – a week of celebrating indigenous art forms from around the world. Campers created their own versions of pounded bark painting, Oaxacan sculptures, masks, aboriginal art and more!
- Weekly illustration and comic classes for middle school students at the studio
- Capoeira in the Park – on Tuesdays and Thursdays in July thanks to a grant from RACC, Vibe’s Capoeira teachers brought music, dance & movement to students at Ventura park in partnership with Portland Parks & Rec’s summer lunch programs.
- Music classes in partnership with Multnomah Educational Services District’s Migrant Summer Education programming
- Summer SUN music classes at Sacramento Elementary in the Park Rose School District!
Amazing! No wonder we’re taking a moment to catch our breath and gear up for fall quarter. Our incredible Vibe teaching artists made summer magic happen and brought so many innovative ideas on how to inspire kids with creativity!