My hands smell like fresh trees and my shoulders are a little tired – which should be a given after we moved a whole truck load of trees onto the Vibe Studio lot today! We are getting everything ready for a full Holiday Season and are looking forward to celebrating it with you – our community!
Vibe’s mission of empowering people through art and music and inspiring leaders in our community is all about connecting and celebrating with one another; learning from one another and growing together. My heart is full as we are seeking to create those spaces at the studio and with our eleven partner schools throughout the Portland area.
Thank you for being with us in creating this community and creative anchor in the city.
Now Join us for a host of incredible events, opportunities and ways to enjoy the end of the year. Here is a brief list of what is happening between now and the New Year. And if you’re wanting to help out we have several 2 1/2 hour shifts to volunteer at our tree sale. Volunteer Info HERE
- November 23 – December 23rd // Annual Tree Sale Fundraiser for Vibe’s Art & Music Programming
- November 27th // Giving Tuesday and end of year holiday giving campaign kicks off
- November 30th // kaleidoscope SE Tree Lighting Event – celebrating where art, music and culture intersect – community tree lighting, collaborative art project, food carts, nightmarket, fun!
- December 1 & 2nd // Artisan Fair Noon-4 p.m. // meet local makers and artisans and get some holiday shopping done with unique one of a kind gifts!
- December 8th // holiday themed open studio with collaborative art project and small gift project ideas
- December 15 & 16th // Artisan Fair Noon-4 p.m.
- December 17 – 21st // Winter Break Workshops // a.m. & p.m. art workshops for elementary age artists
See you at the studio this incredible holiday season.
Wow! What an incredible summer at Vibe of Portland. Even though school was out there was no shortage of learning, growing, creativity, music making and friendship building.
Here are some of the highlights from summer:
- East Winds Band Camp was our biggest and best one yet! Thanks to our friends at Mt Hood Community College and the amazing public school band directors, private lesson teaching artists, musicians and Chamber Music NW for making this camp an annual week of awesome! Save the date for East Winds Band Camp 2019 : July 29-Aug. 2nd
- 3 sold out Pint Size Picasso camps – our littlest artists explored the rainforest, created unique mythical creatures and battled robots!
- Photography camp had a photoshoot at the Tillikum bridge, created camera obscuras, learned about lighting, focus and how to take an awesome picture! Thank you Posy for another great year of photo camp!
- Nature camp where kids went on nature art treasure hunts, did garden still life in our studio garden, and had an awesome interactive presentation from Portland Insectarium.
- POP! Art camp exploring 2D and 3D pop art icons like Warhol, Lichtenstein and Theibaud. Giant sculptures of highlighters and toothpaste and coffee cups – Warhol inspired self portrait print making and so many awesome projects.
- African Rhythms art & music camp. We had an amazing week combining Ghanaian drumming and culture with a variety of African inspired art projects. The week ended in a final concert of drumming, artists wearing traditional Ghanaian dress and showcasing their artwork. A special thanks to Alex Addy for bringing so much to this camp!
- World Folk Art – a great camp to follow African Rhythms – a week of celebrating indigenous art forms from around the world. Campers created their own versions of pounded bark painting, Oaxacan sculptures, masks, aboriginal art and more!
- Weekly illustration and comic classes for middle school students at the studio
- Capoeira in the Park – on Tuesdays and Thursdays in July thanks to a grant from RACC, Vibe’s Capoeira teachers brought music, dance & movement to students at Ventura park in partnership with Portland Parks & Rec’s summer lunch programs.
- Music classes in partnership with Multnomah Educational Services District’s Migrant Summer Education programming
- Summer SUN music classes at Sacramento Elementary in the Park Rose School District!
Amazing! No wonder we’re taking a moment to catch our breath and gear up for fall quarter. Our incredible Vibe teaching artists made summer magic happen and brought so many innovative ideas on how to inspire kids with creativity!